New Patient Consultation
Please allow approximately one hour for your first visit. The purpose for your first visit with us is to determine:
- Whether there are orthodontic problems that can be corrected with particular types of orthodontic treatment
- What would be the most appropriate timing for any required treatment?
At the first visit to the orthodontist, we take digital photos of the patient’s face and teeth and do a clinical examination. As well, we review the patient’s medical and dental history to make sure orthodontic treatment can be performed. Based on that preliminary information, we can normally outline the possible orthodontic treatment and the length of time needed. We do not take radiographs (x-rays) at this appointment, but if your dentist has a recent “Panoramic” X-ray it would be helpful if it were forwarded to us.
After the consultation, the next step is to take diagnostic records to determine the best course of treatment. Complete diagnostic records normally include study models of the teeth and digital x-rays. This information is used to develop a custom treatment plan for each patient, as well as allowing us to track the progress of treatment as the teeth move under orthodontic care.
Please remember that the consultation fee is $50. At this initial visit we can usually give you an approximate idea of what orthodontic treatment fees would apply. The consultation fee will be applied towards your treatment costs with us.
The appointment when you get your appliances (braces, expanders, etc.) usually takes from one to two hours. You’ll then see us at regular intervals 4 to 8 weeks apart for an adjustment, which takes 15 to 30 minutes. Patients are seen by appointment only. We make every effort to be on time for our patients and ask that you extend the same courtesy to us. If you cannot keep an appointment, please notify us within 48 hours if possible. Cancel only if it is an emergency. It is difficult to reschedule you since most appointments are made 4 to 8 weeks in advance.
The cost of treatment depends on what type of treatment is needed and the length of time the treatment will take. You will be able to discuss fees and payment options before treatment begins. We offer a variety of financing options to help meet your needs, and we work hard to make orthodontics affordable.
In an effort to keep orthodontic fees down while maintaining the highest level of professional care, we have established this financial policy:
- To fit your individual needs, payment plans can be arranged to extend your payments over a period of months. These payments are interest-free, and can be customized to suit you.
- If you decide to pay the full amount at the onset of treatment, we will offer a fee discount of 5%.
- We also offer a discount for additional family members that begin treatment (i.e. siblings, parents, children).
- For your convenience, we accept payment by cheque, debit or credit card.